Friday, March 21, 2014

March 21, 2014 - "The Song of the Bird"

I love waking up to the sunshine and cool temps. For a while, I was wondering if I lived in the NW with the cloudy skies? Remember, Life Group is April 6th at 6PM at my house. Let me know if you're planning to attend so I can plan accordingly. Yesterday as I left for work, I must confess I had a heavy heart. While unlocking the car my attention was diverted for a few seconds and I listened as the spring birds were singing so effortlessly. I tried to remember if I ever hear them sing during the winter, but I am not certain I do. However yesterday, the Lord specifically brought me to their song. I was reminded that intrinsically they are created to be totally dependent on the Lord for their provisions. Yes, they search for food and build nests, but they don't toil as we toil. Toiling is defined as working extremely hard or incessantly - exhausting physical labor. Now before we all jump up and declare, "none of us are supposed to toil," I get that. But let's be honest, we are human and at times we toil. Part of that toiling comes to us through Adam's disobedience, doesn't it? And yes, we have been redeemed from the curse of toiling, but sometimes we may find ourselves wandering into a place where we are functioning beyond our rest that God promises. Maybe that's just me? As I woke up to their songs again this morning, the Spirit of the Lord reminded me of a few verses that I'd like to share and a picture. Perhaps this will help some of you add some balance in a busy and overwhelming season of life. :) Matthew 6:25-27 Do Not Worry 25"For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? 26"Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they? 27"And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life?… Luke 12:24 Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Psalm 104:27-28 All creatures look to you to give them their food at the proper time. When you give it to them, they gather it up; when you open your hand, they are satisfied with good things. Look again at Luke. How much more valuable to the Lord are each of us? Life has its issues, but one of my pastors taught me to assign each issue a number and make them line up during the day. Check them off one by one. Sometimes we need to be reminded that those things we do each day do not define us and they are not allowed to drain our virtue. This morning I saw a picture of a one of those game boards where a head pops out and a mallet is used to smash it back into its hole. Let's do that to those things popping up that are trying to cause to toil or worry. The song of the birds reminded me that they toil for nothing. I choose to sing like a bird - how about you? Have a great one! PK

No comments:

Post a Comment