Tuesday, March 18, 2014

March 18, 2014 - "Beating the Air"

I had my daughter, grand daughters and grand puppy over for dinner tonight and as most of you know, I love creating new recipes and playing with food. Today, Teree asked if I would make fish and as I am currently really cutting down on my fat levels, I made some Tilapia in a skillet and it was SOOOO yummy. I'd love to share a non-fat, fish recipe that my grand daughters really loved and there was none left at the end of dinner. It's easy and really tasty. I sprayed a skillet with Pam and put it on 6 (medium), laid my Tilapia fillets down and seasoned with Old Bay seasoning and DILL WEED. (Yes, that was the hit. It was a risk, but it worked) Then I continued to "grill" the fillets until the seasonings made a some-what crust. This means I kept the heat on medium and turned every couple of minutes. Tilapia doesn't take long to cook and there is a balance between "crusting" and drying the fillet. So, be careful. I was honestly hoping the girls wouldn't like it as I was really hungry, but isn't it great when the kids will eat fish that's not fried? :) Let me know if you try it. I would love some feedback. So, as we have coffee this morning let's break down 1 Corinthians 9: 24-27. The Need for Self-Discipline 24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. 27 No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. As I began reading this verse, I could really tap into the Apostle Paul's encouragement - "don't simply get your shoes on and take to the track - if you're gonna do the stuff, run the race to win." (paraphrased of course) I LOVE this! I grew up in a sports family and hours weekly were dedicated to perfecting the sport but not simply as something to pass the time, but to compete to win. I know there's a balance but we were taught to play hard to win - leave nothing on the table - but at the end of the game, regardless, shake hands and know you did your best. I am still wired this way whether choosing foods for my daily health race or making plans to deepen my relational race, I still run each day to win. However, the main focus of the passage is about running the eternal race and securing the prize that lasts forever. There is a plan and a course (a track if you will) that God established and each of us is on the track. Paul is reminding us to make the race count while we're here because the prize for winning is something that lasts for eternity. Winning the eternal race has everything to do with acceptance and obedience. Will we follow God's instructions as he coaches us through our race and obey His commands with integrity? Will we surrender our own plan to His plans daily, deny ourselves, take up our cross and follow Him? I, like the Apostle Paul, don't want to live my life and run the race aimlessly. Can you imagine the frustration of a boxer simply beating the air? I would hate that! Let me read God's Word and allow the Coach of Heaven to shape and reshape my life; let me discipline myself to stay the course when "life" has another plan; and let me remain focused - eyes forward - to the prize set before me, which is the Hope of Heaven. Run well today friends and let's have coffee again tomorrow. PK

No comments:

Post a Comment