Thursday, March 20, 2014

March 20, 2014 - "Removing the Leaves"

What a beautiful day is in store for us all. It's days like these where I wish the world would stop...momentarily. Do you ever feel like that? The warm sun, the expressive birds singing their spring songs, and the color of green reminds me that new life is abundantly pushing forward. After a long, cold winter I long to rake the yard in my shorts and flip flops. Just typing that means I've had a mental breakdown. (wink) I really don't rake the leaves I blow them, but that sounded great and I wanted to get an "amen" from the other leaf blowers. However, I am so ready to work in the yard, get out of the house, and listen to the waterfall as I drink my morning coffee in the swing. Bring it on! As I am planning and strategizing concerning the yard, I am reminded that leaves are everywhere - unless you have no trees - and burning so many is dangerous with all the trees in my yard. Honestly, we always have to form a plan and every year I dread the entire event. I know the leaves have to be removed so that the emerging flowers can get the warmth and space they need, so I do my part to give them a chance but it is a chore. I am reminded, though, that the dead leaves needing to be removed is in sync with those things in our lives that we purpose to conqueror and bring down that can really become clutter if we do not completely remove them. There's a difference in pushing something to the edge of the yard and removing it. PREACH! The Bible speaks of the little foxes that spoil the vine and I think of how one, small leaf is not an issue even if hidden in the yard. However, if I allow those leaves to accumulate they can soon become an issue, can't they? Once my yard is blown clean, bagged and removed, I immediately get the sticks up, re-soil and re-plant, mulch and seed the grass. I take ownership of where the dead leaf was and bring forth life. This is a biblical process that we see in the natural realm in which we live. In my on life, I am constantly evaluating issues in my heart to determine what needs to be pulled down and removed. Once removed, I MUST fill that space with the goodness of God and allow the fruits of the Spirit to grow in its place. I must be careful to not allow that dead issue, a winter leaf, to remain and grab others in its journey. It must come down, be removed, and be destroyed. Then, new life comes to those areas of my heart and life and I enjoy the victorious living that Jesus died to secure. I liken that to sitting in my swing, drinking my coffee, reading my Bible, and meditating on all the wonderful things God has done in my life. Gotta stay on those leaves. Do you have any in your "yard" that need to be removed and burned? Ask the Holy Spirit where the small things are in your life that need some attention. Then, smile as you address them knowing that God plans good things for His children. As we approach Easter, this is a great time to get some things from our yard to the cross. That's my plan. Have a great day! PK

No comments:

Post a Comment