Tuesday, February 25, 2014

February 25, 2014 - "All Things In Moderation, Right?"

In the past several weeks I have heard 5 or 6 people comment, "all things in moderation." In fact, it happened just yesterday morning with some of our interns and provided a wonderful, teachable moment that I hope will provide a sticky truth for a LONG TIME. For many years I lived right within that statement and consoled myself with its "truth." However, three years ago I chose to rid myself of sugar and starch and gain the freedom that being healthy offered. As I shut and bolted certain doors in food-related areas of my life, people began to confess over me that I was tormented by the spirit of fear simply because I said, "I CAN'T eat _________." Isn't it amazing that things we won't allow in our lives, when others do, can be viewed as fear in some twisted way? I care what others eat, but I don't care to make people feel ashamed of what they do and do not eat. BIG DIFFERENCE! Many times I would simply smile and say, "I am not afraid to eat - I totally eat EVERYTHING I choose. Just because I don't eat sugar or starch doesn't mean I have allowed an eating disorder to consume me." I hope you hear my heart in this. Recently this "all things in moderation" statement has caused me to really question what is actually being said and do I agree with it. At first, I simply dismissed it. A couple of days ago, I attacked it. Actually, in my opinion, the statement is a lie. I hate to be blunt or rude, but sometimes we need a friend to help us see the truth and challenge our colloquialisms. Right? So, let's consider the statement "all things in moderation." Often I hear this announcement used in reference to eating smaller portions of anything desired. It takes discipline to say "no" to the desserts; but saying "all things in moderation," as we cut 6 small pieces of various desserts on the buffet, allows us to move the boundaries of discipline, doesn't it? Would you taste a pot of soup containing a singular drop of poison? That's the definition of moderation for many - simply a small amount. If certain food items have been proven to be harmful to one's body - like aspartame - is a moderate amount allowed? Not for me - but let's widen the "all" in that statement beyond the realm of food and give a close look. Is a little adultery in moderation okay? How about murder? Or perhaps lying - well we do call those "white lies," but they are still rooted in deception although often easier to excuse for many. Do I really want to teach my grand children "all things in moderation?" Is a little sex before marriage okay or a moderate amount of stealing? NO! I am certainly not trying to be the police here, but simply encouraging me - and maybe you - to consider those sayings we use without question. Are they carrying truth and are they principles by which we want to live our lives? Our words are so powerful! I am asking the Lord to help me practice the discipline of silence and carefully examine each word that journeys from my mouth. I want to speak LIFE on all levels. Perhaps these passages will help us this day to examine the weight of our statements: Matthew 12:37 For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned." Proverbs 10:19 Sin is not ended by multiplying words, but the prudent hold their tongues. Proverbs 12:13 Evildoers are trapped by their sinful talk, and so the innocent escape trouble. Proverbs 13:2 From the fruit of their lips people enjoy good things, but the unfaithful have an appetite for violence. Proverbs 13:3 Those who guard their lips preserve their lives, but those who speak rashly will come to ruin. Proverbs 21:23 Those who guard their mouths and their tongues keep themselves from calamity. Have a blessed Tuesday, PK

No comments:

Post a Comment