Friday, February 14, 2014

February 14, 2014 - "God's Valentine"

Happy Valentine's Day and praise God for the sunshine. These past couple of weeks have really reminded me of how much I love and need the light. There's something special about the rays of the sun hitting my eyes that make me smile. Maybe you too? FYI - my editor contacted me yesterday and things are progressing rapidly. I would really appreciate your prayers as my journey may change a bit. I am not certain how God is going to use this devotional cookbook and combine it with my heart's desire. But His Word teaches us that if we delight ourselves in Him, He will give us the desires of our heart. (Psalm 37:4) I have held that close in my heart for years. Matthew Henry comments on that verse in this manner: To delight in God is as much a privilege as a duty. He has not promised to gratify the appetites of the body, and the humours of the fancy, but the desires of the renewed, sanctified soul. What is the desire of the heart of a good man? It is this, to know, and love, and serve God. Commit thy way unto the Lord; roll thy way upon the Lord, so the margin reads it. Cast thy burden upon the Lord, the burden of thy care. We must roll it off ourselves, not afflict and perplex ourselves with thoughts about future events, but refer them to God. By prayer spread thy case and all thy cares before the Lord, and trust in him. We must do our duty, and then leave the event with God. The promise is very sweet: He shall bring that to pass, whatever it is, which thou has committed to him. As we talked yesterday, waiting on God and determining that our best efforts never compare with the richness of His plan and His eternal love for each of us gives me continued assurance that time IS NOT WORKING AGAINST ME. Maybe someone needs to hear that this morning. God has heard and taken note of your prayers and life, and delay is not always denial. UNLESS...God, who knows you best, realizes the potential harm in your petition. I would never give one of my kids something catastrophic no matter how they pleaded. As the adult, I am more knowledgeable so saying, "no" is easy. They continue to ask because they don't know the potential danger. Often, for children, the answer of "no" can be misinterpreted as "I don't love you." ABSOLUTELY not true - in fact, it could totally the opposite! God's heart and love for each of us is BIG enough to say "yes, no, or maybe" as He needs to. Our duty is to delight in Him...regardless. God gave us the best Valentine gift in the form of eternal life and then asks that we share the good news with a world who simply sees Valentine's Day as a box of chocolates. I know that excludes many of you but the world, without Jesus, sees this day as chocolates and fancy dinners. As we give our Valentine gifts today, may they have the Spirit of the Lord attached that speaks clearly, "I'll love you forever...no matter what!" Have a great Friday and smile as you remember that God knew you before He fashioned you and chose you! Much love, PK

No comments:

Post a Comment