Monday, February 17, 2014

February 17, 2014 - "I Don't Do Confusion"

Sorry this is late - I have been so hard at work both studying the Word and working through my task list that I haven't had time to stop until now. But I need some time to breathe and let my brain "rest for a moment." Do you ever do that? I must admit that Valentine's Day this year had more chocolate displays than I've ever seen. It almost became a game with me to see which type of candy could be re-packaged for this lover's holiday. Then, as I entered a store yesterday to get a few things I discovered the Valentine chocolates were reduced in price and the chocolate Easter bunnies out for grab. REALLY? I thought yesterday was still included in the Valentine's weekend, but I guess the retailers feel differently. I walked the store yesterday and considered again how powerful packaging and marketing are. Now mind you I rarely see whole foods offered during holidays with such extravagance. Can you picture a display of carrots shaped into an Easter bunny in the front of your favorite store as opposed to the chocolate ones? Probably not. I had so many people comment they found themselves powerless to say "no" to chocolate. I wondered about that - what type of inanimate object has that much control over us? Have you ever thought about it? Several years ago I used to say that chocolate was "calling my name, and I simply could NOT resist." Yes, I said it in fun, but after this past holiday with ALL the comments about the power of chocolate I really shook my head. Does chocolate really have that strong a voice? NO, not the object, but the TASTE. Taste triggers our mind into feeling a sense of pleasure as if we are being treated to something desirable. Remember, sugar sedates and comforts. So chocolate candy is a three-fold bomb - sedates, comforts, and tastes great. YIKES - what a deadly combo. Yesterday, while out to eat with my family, I designed my meal at a restaurant to accomplish my health goals. It really wasn't what I "wanted" to eat. However, I smiled at my brother and said, "this a great steak!" We all laughed, but how many of you know we simply cannot satisfy our flesh at every meal. Taste is a fabulous plus, but being healthy has to out weigh taste. The problem is that chocolate tastes good "for a season" but it quickly settles on our belly and thighs. Then, we often feel bad and opt for more chocolate to comfort us only to repeat the process. It's a viscous cycle! We have to decide we want off! Once we have made a tough decision to never return to the sugar wheel, often every issue (or holiday) in life lines up in our house and our mind reasons, "YOU NEED SUGAR! THAT'S THE ONLY WAY TO ENDURE THIS ISSUE." That is so not true! When we continue to rationalize truth and make excuses for our weaknesses - we weaken the boundaries of success. Slowly we return to the old way of thinking, even though we KNOW the truth. You see the Bible, speaking of truth, could actually read "the truth you know INTIMATELY sets you free." Why? Because when another voice speaks to lure us from the truth we are able to say, "that voice brings life - that one brings death," and we are able to decide without confusion. I don't do well with confusion. How about you? Have a great week, PK

No comments:

Post a Comment